Monday, June 27, 2016

Is it hot enough for ya? ...

Whew!  Today I went out early and did some yard work.  Pulled weeds which, despite using Preen, are trying to take over my flower beds.  Also trimmed back my Knockout roses so they'll bloom more later.  Then I trimmed here and pulled there until I was sweating so much I slid right into the shower.  LOL!  Things look better though!  I had tried growing a tomato plant in a bucket but it was stunted looking, so I moved it out to the end of the day-lily garden.  I'll let you know if I get tomatoes.  My, the lilies are looking good this year; we've had just the right amounts of rain and sun  ...


I had Wendell cut a sign board and I put up another path marker ...



I'm not sayin' where exactly it's pointed but if you know me you might guess.  Speaking of flowers and all things outdoors, we recently went to the new Apple House in Terre Haute.  Have you been there yet?  Wow, it's really neat!  I loved loved loved it!  Did I buy more plants?  Guess!  Here's Wendell getting a close-up look ... 




Speaking of him, you know Father's Day was a few days ago and our church was decorated so cleverly for the event!  This (below) is what greeted you as entered.  And the tie theme was carried out inside, with three ties draped over each pew end, and also over the lecterns.  They gave away four yummy looking pies from Gray Brothers (unfortunately W. was not old enough, young enough, or have enough children or grandchildren, so we went home pie-less).  But all the Dads got a baggie of chocolates to take home.


I've been trying to switch up my meal planning lately and dug out some old recipes I haven't made for a while.  So I made this fruit 'pizza' last week.  It went really well with a bottle of white wine Jane & Jeff brought for Father's Day.  We had a really nice visit with them the day before 'the day' ... it's always good to hear about what's going on in their lives.



So, to keep inside and out of the heat/humidity I've been crocheting again.  I've made two hats, two scarves (for Project Warmth) and this prayer shawl during the past couple weeks.  Also been reading a lot!  I'm hooked on these Isabel Dalhousie books by Alexander McCall Smith and am almost done reading all of them.  She's supposed to be a philosopher so lots of deep-thinking asides are thrown into her mystery solving.  As you can tell, I'm into light summer reading right now ...


Here's that prayer shawl I just finished.


Last but not least, I took this picture outside Graham Cheese in Elnora Saturday.  Does anyone recognize this plant?  I'd like to know the name so I can buy one.  I'll bet the hummingbirds would love it.  Let me know, will you? 
Well, that's what I've been up to lately.  God bless you.  Have a wonderful week!  And keep cool!!!!!

No comments: