Thursday, August 18, 2011

On the road ...

This has been a hectic two weeks. I'm sorry to say I haven't pulled the first loop. Other things have first priority now. Isn't that the way it always goes?

Mom is back in her independent living apartment. Went up there last Thursday and got her home Friday a.m. Spent lots of time sorting things out, such as meds, what was coming up on her calendar, etc. Right away, that day, she wanted to get her hair "done" so she did. What a trooper. I think she will recuperate from the broken leg. She does have other problems to hurdle ... but don't we all?!

While in Bluffton I got a surprise phone call from an old classmate and she came to Mom's apartment and took me out to dinner Saturday night! What a great time! We talked wall-to-wall! Thanks Judy! In less than a year we'll be celebrating our 50th class reunion from good old Petroleum High School (hey ... don't laugh ... that is really the name of the town).

Got home late Monday and was very tired. Wendell had a wonderful dinner planned (isn't it always wonderful when you don't have to cook?) and grilled out. Wine with dinner, followed by chocolate ... what more could a girl ask for? We've had some pretty good weather and it is nice sleeping with the windows open again!

Tuesday we mowed, picked the last of the corn (and some more okra) and had to go into Linton to re-stock the kitchen shelves and do some other errands. This a.m. I was up early and got that corn in the freezer. Also canned my LAST 4 jars of pickled okra. I love the stuff but I'm tired of it! Wendell will keep picking and give away until he gets tired of it too! LOL! So all I have left in the garden besides that pesky okra is tomatoes, basil and flowers! (Yeah!) I "may" make some more pesto for the freezer (?). It seems way early for the garden to be done but I think this frightful hot weather in July and early August contributed to that.

Wendell was on the phone the other night with a Lodge acquaintance and when he got off he told me part of the conversation that made me laugh out loud. This friend had just re-married and told W. that he had found a really swell girl -- she was a great cook, she loved to fish and she couldn't drive! What a hoot!

Early last week we took turns washing the decks and I want to show you how different it now looks (picture above)! Have a great week. Hopefully I will get back to hooking on that runner rug SOON! BTW ... thanks for all of the prayers for my Mom.