Sunday, May 6, 2012

A trip down memory lane ... again ...

Lately I have been working on a sort of memory book for my high school class 50th reunion.  I finally dug out my 'senior cords' yesterday.  How many of you had these?  Anyone?

My Senior Cords ... Front of my cream-colored, hand-painted corduroy skirt.  "Wendell" is in the heart, the panther holds a diploma in his mouth.  Wendell's class ring is above the word 'seniors', our year book is bottom left.  And of course Yogi and Bobo!
Here's the back. (btw I made the skirt)  Records spun at the Hayloft (a place we went to dance), we were the 4-Way basketball champs, the movie "The Blob", a wiener dog in the pleat ... "Petroleum" down one side, "Panthers" down the other.
Preparing for this class reunion has been really enjoyable.  In addition to pictures and this skirt, I found some 4-H stuff, awards for journalism, reporting & music, class play books, and an old scrap book.  I hope the booklet I'm doing will make a worthwhile memento for everyone.  On the negative side it seems that very few are coming for the pre-party and banquet.  There were only 17 in our graduating class to begin with and three guys are already dead.  A few live out of state.  So I'm guessing, from what I hear, that only about half of the original class will be there.  

Actually I dread the drive back up to Bluffton for the reunion.  Just got back from there two days ago, helping Mom make the transition, one more time, back to her apartment from the health care unit.  She is settling in and it will be much slower this time.  Lots of hard work for her.  She doesn't seem quite as determined as she was last time ...  But she's there.

Next Sunday is Mother's Day!  I'm looking forward to this whole week in fact.  I want to rest and do some weaving as well as catch up on the garden.  Poor Wendell has had to do almost all of it.  So I'll get out there and prop up peas, thin beets, plant flowers where the others got covered up by a wild tiller, cut spinach and lettuce, and just generally whip things into shape.  Also I have a small flat of flowers I want to get into planters, so I'll be busy for sure.  I must go shopping for something to wear to this shindig and get my hair trimmed again.  And Margo and I hope to go to Amish country some day this week.  I have to bake six small cakes for the PTO carnival in Spencer on Thursday.  Then next Saturday we're going out to eat for Mother's Day at Almost Home with Jeff as our host!  Yeah ... Should be a busy but productive week!  

God bless you all.

No comments: