Monday, May 5, 2014

At last, an almost clear calendar!

Looked at my calendar today and this week was almost free!  Yeah!  Think I'll plant my annual flower garden today after I get the laundry started and it's a little warmer outside.  Wendell divided the vegetable garden in half and I'm going to have 4 rows of annuals; I think zinnias, sunflowers, cock's comb and moonflowers, with some starts of hollyhocks to transplant up by the house in the fall.  So pleased to have the perennials flower beds cleared out and I have a BIG tub of iris to give away now.  Anyone?!  Let me know!  If not they're going over the side of the hill to be eaten by the squirrels.  I only lost one lavender and replaced it with a Knockout rose bush.  Hey!  Now I know spring is here; our hummingbirds came back yesterday.  They sure have me trained; I went right in the house and made a batch of food and they were guzzling before dark ...

Thought I'd show in pictures what's been going on around here recently.  First!  Here are before and after pictures of the library desk I got when mom moved from independent living to assisted living.  Neil White took it home and applied some TLC and presto-chango, I now have a beautiful piece of furniture for the great room to replace the gun cabinet (which moved to Michigan).  Now I just need to find a nice mission-style or Tiffany-style lamp to go on top.  And perhaps a chair?  We'll see ...

BEFORE

AFTER

Margo and I went to Greencastle to the Fiber Event a couple weeks ago.  It was just a gorgeous day and Margo went the entire afternoon without a break to sit down (after having both knees "replaced" this winter).  Yeah for her!  I kept asking her if she needed to sit down but she said 'no' ... really it was ME who needed to rest.  LOL!  Supriseingly, neither of us bought much.  (I still can't believe it.)  And it seems like usually it rains or blows or something for that fair, but this year it was just perfect.  Since I'm a rug hooker, I was disappointed that there weren't more rug hooking vendors.  But I crochet, too, so you'd think I would have bought at least one hank of yarn ... No, just some oatmeal soap.  We had lunch before at Almost Home and I must say, that was some good Key Lime Pie I had there.  I'm ready to go back! 
Just some of the beautiful yarn and gorgeous fiber products we saw in Greencastle at the Fiber Event.  There were three buildings of vendors and outside vendors, too.

Couple weeks ago I went to Indy to pick up the remainder of the rug hooking "stuff" Rita C. sold and gave to me for distribution at HHRHG.  Here's the truck with the bed full as well as the back seat!  Lots of recycled wool but I'm sorry to say that about three bags of that went to the trash.  But there are now three bags left of recycled wool and five tubs of patterns and new wool to take to Guild this week.  I couldn't have done any of this without Wendell to go along to help.  Thank goodness I didn't take my car and go alone!!



Rita has stopped hooking and this is the second "load" of rug hooking supplies I've received from her.  I think this is all of it now.  She just saved enough to keep as a personal hobby; she had been a teacher for 25 years.  Just a very talented woman -- besides her hooked rugs, her home is filled with her other art -- painting, sculpture, quilts.  Impressive.

Next week will be a busy one for me, giving a lesson on fondue to Braysville Extension Club Tuesday, co-hostess of my own extension club Wednesday, hooking at the library Thursday, set up for the fiber fair in Washington Friday, the fiber fair itself Saturday, and Sunday I'm the lead for our quarterly church fellowship dinner.  (Man, I'm tired just typing that ...)  So pray for me; I'll need it.  I keep saying I must give something up and deciding which is difficult.  But I need to make a decision.

Have a great week!