Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Snow snow snow ...

ARGH!

So tired of snow.  It snowed more last night and it is snowing right now (lightly ... nevertheless it is snowing).  Was supposed to go to the Bloomington Quilt Guild last night with a friend but the speaker cancelled due to the snow so we didn't go.  Tonight hooking is scheduled in Worthington and that is doubtful for me because I don't want to risk getting stuck on our road in a drift.  

I have kept busy around her though.  Been working on the loom for an hour or so at a time.  This is the first rug on this run.  I used some upholstery selvages I bought at Great Northern Weaving.  Don't think I'd use them again because I don't like the look.  I have enough left to do another but think I'll pass them along to my mentor to give a try.  (That light color is just a filler to hold in the header.)  Now, on to something more interesting!  I use the little space heater down there to keep my feet warm because it is colder than upstairs.  This winter it seems like my feet are always cold!!! 
Sort of a shaggy look ... the edges are hairy looking, aren't they?  First time it's washed and dried I'd hate to see the lint filter!

Also been hooking on a rug that is different for me ... it'll have a hooked background around the sheep that I'm going to hook in chunky wool yarn.  My first plan was to hook the sheep in roving but changed that after some experimentation with the two looks.  Here's what the background looks like so far ...  I have a long way to go.  I'm taking my time hooking this background because it's difficult for me to make a hit and miss look spontaneous.  LOL!  That doesn't make sense, does it?  "They say" you should just dip your hand into a bag of wool and use whatever comes out.  Me?  NO WAY.  I just can't do that.  Maybe some day...

Here's the rug I'm hooking right now.  I guess it will actually not be a rug for the floor but a piece to be hung on the wall.  I've only hooked a couple of wall hangings in my life; most of mine are for the floor or table.  Her face and legs will be brown.  The gray is an outline to hold the yarn and in fact may come out at the very end and replaced with more yarn ... we'll see how it goes.  It is much brighter than this picture makes it look; the yellows are nice and clear yellow.  I'm liking this background.

I just finished reading a very interesting book by Doris Eaton called A Lifetime of Rug Hooking.  She's from Canada and has been hooking for years and years.  Her life story is remarkable.  Plus, it shows lots of pictures of her rugs and the story that goes with each one.  Now, her style is not mine, but her story is so very interesting.  Also, getting lost in another Mitch Rapp book.  So I'm keeping myself entertained, although feeling trapped.  

But that's my life so far this winter ...