Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Recently in SV ...

We're enjoying some great weather here!  I really expected it to be cooler but it's been in the mid-60's to mid-70's.  And with the sun shining most of the time, it feels warmer.  I only brought three short-sleeve shirts!  Think I may have to go to some thrift store or consignment shops and find something else to get me thru the next few weeks -- what a great situation to be in!

We've been out and about lately.  Saturday we went over the Huachuca Mountains, through the Coronado National Memorial, and into the next valley to the west.  Stopped at the visitor's center and learned some stuff there, then drove on up the switch-back road to the summit overlook area.  Great views!  Then on down the west slope into the valley near Parker Canyon Lake, thru the Elgin wine country, then north into Sonoita for a late lunch.  It was a great day.  I did the driving that day and was glad to get down that west slope without burning out the brakes! (I down-shifted over and over.)  On that drive we saw a coatimundi and two coyotes on the road.  But no illegals!  [At the top, in the lookout area, were two portable BP stations.  We talked to an agent there briefly and he was very nice. Saw lots of BP trucks out in the dessert.]
Taken from part of the way up the mountain, shows the switch-back road we traveled.
As I looked east I kept noticing this dark "line" in the dessert and at first thought it was the highway going east into Bisbee.  Then the light bulb went off and I realized -- that's the border fence!  It went on and on ...
Here's the view from our balcony.  You're seeing the roof of the clubhouse. 
We really like this condo.  It's on the third floor but that's about the only thing we don't like about it.  But when you think about it, we have to do a flight of stairs every time we leave our own home, so this is just a little more than that ...  Anyway, it keeps us in shape I guess.  My torn meniscus is not bothering me too much, though I know I don't walk normally.  I limp.  I'll get that fixed and hopefully I can return to a normal gait. 

It's very quiet here.  The views can't be topped.  The owners are very welcoming and helpful.  The town has just about anything you could want or need.  We're within walking distance of the mall (and theater).  What I do miss from home is our soft water. And I do have dry skin and hair!  I usually look like I just stuck my finger in a light socket!  Using lots of moisturizer and hair conditioner ...

Monday we went to the national military cemetery on the grounds of Ft. Huachuca, and checked out a food co-op and the location of a Masonic lodge for Wendell.  Yesterday was spent in Bisbee.  Today we're going to a farmer's market.  I'll keep you posted on what we're doing ...

My new year resolution was to read the Bible in a year.  I think I've read most of it previously, especially during the Disciple Bible studies Mel Camp taught that we attended, but never from start to finish.  Thank goodness for the Kindle; it bookmarks just where I need to begin each day.  

Have a wonderful week.  God is Good!

No comments: