Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Experiencing a typical Indiana summer ...

I can't say I enjoy hot, humid weather but it's been a good summer considering others I've experienced in the past.  For instance, I remember the summer Ray & Gloria was married here; that was before we built the house.  They were married outdoors and the grass just crunched when you walked through it.  We beat it back into the garage a.s.a.p. to get in out of the heat and humidity.  But it was a blessed day.  That was 19 years ago this month!  So this summer has been pretty "normal" for Indiana I guess.  We've been lucky to have enough rain to keep the grass green and the crops look soooooo good this year, at least in my neck of the woods.  We've had to mow almost every week.  (And I'm getting tired of that -- literally.)

Let me look at my picture file and fill you in on what little we've done.  It truly has been a quiet summer, travel wise, for W. and me.  Each year gets slower and slower.  Here goes ...

We enjoyed a trip through Nancy's Antiques in Terre Haute again recently.  I loved this old weather vane!  This shop is changing their name, so who knows what it will be called next ... but it's one of our antiques favorite places.

On the same trip we checked out the new sign on the side of the soon-to-open Vigo County Historical Society Museum.  BTW, it's downtown, located conveniently next door to the Square Donuts shop!

Visited the Greene County 4-H Fair (and open class fair) and I've got to say it beats the Owen County Fair by a mile.  The exhibit hall is super neat and clean, with new display pieces and good lighting.  And they had a lot of entries! Nevertheless, I'm glad to see that 4-H is alive and well in this part of rural Indiana!

More from the Greene County Fair ...

And more ...  it was a very enjoyable day.

I've started work on this new quilt.  (I just finished one so had to begin another ...)  Had the pieces for some time and just getting around to sewing them together!  I know it looks sort of 'blah' here, but I think it will be pretty sharp when I get done.  Also have a new run of rugs on the loom ...
Here's our little family.  Celebrating Wendell and Jeff's birthdays and just enjoying being with each other.  Met in Kokomo this time ...

Some quotes seen recently and worth passing along:
  • If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
  • Always read the kind of stuff  that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
  • Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.
  • If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?
  • Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance!
  • Have an awesome day and know that someone has thought about you today.
Remember, enjoy these warm days while you can.  Before we know it we'll be complaining about the winter weather!  God bless you.




No comments: