Thursday, February 27, 2020

Happy Leap Year!

So it is leap year -- 2020.  We have an extra day to do anything we want to do!  Ever thought of it like that?  AND it falls on a Saturday.  The perfect day to go out and do something!  I know the weather won't be perfect but I am going to go outside and do something in the yard in the a.m., and then put on some good duds and go "shopping".  And I have a place in mind!  How about you?!  I hope you take advantage of this once-every-4-years gift and do something fun on this extra day!

I've been thinking about some words/phrases that are starting to make me crazy and want to share some of them with you.  And maybe it will start you thinking of some that really bug you, too.  I believe most of this has come about by my dependence on electronic devices and spending too much time reading stuff on my phone and/or computer.  Here's my list of the words/phrases that have me steaming the most when I hear or read them:

WOKE
GASLIGHTING
TOXIC
MULTICULTURALISM
SYNERGY
OPTICS 
SNOWFLAKE
WHITE PRIVILEGE (I'm tired of feeling guilty.)
CONNECTIVITY (say what?)
CANCEL CULTURE (oh, if only we could ...)
LGBTQ?
BINARY
TROLL
VAPING

Like, 😛!  Okay ... I feel better.  

Now, what has been going on in my world ...  I'll work my way backward.

Last Saturday -- it was a gorgeous day -- we drove to Ferdinand.  Had a fun drive BTW, going south through the country on state highways, thru Amish country, Osgood, Velpen, etc.  Just a lovely winding way.  Then after we'd stopped in Huntingburg for a donut, we took a country road into Ferdinand.  That is some beautiful scenery down there; we could see the spire of the monastery of the Sisters of St. Benedict several miles out.  Lovely.  
First we went to the 9th Street Studio and spent some time there.  Wendell bought a unique little wooden bowl made by Rob McIntosh. I was given a personal tour of the carriage house/studio where they have classes because I'm interested in an advanced weaving class, and we talked about that.  We both enjoyed this gallery and recommend it if you're ever in Ferdinand.

Here's the 9th Street Studio from the exterior; as you can see, it's in a lovely old home.

I especially enjoyed these photos of roosters in the snow ...
Here's the wooden bowl Wendell bought.  
After we went there, we visited the local antiques shop.  All I found to buy, that I really needed (LOL!), was an old canteen for the wine room.  It's a really good shop; large and varied enough for all tastes.  If you're into antiques, check it out.  Here's my favorite booth there:

There's a booth there also that I love ... it has steam punk items.  I enjoy seeing how people re-purpose old stuff!  My son Jeff and DIL Jane are now into steam punk ... Here's my favorite lamp from that booth, made from an old lightning rod base (I really dig that big bulb!)


Our 57th wedding anniversary was this month.  My sweetie sent me a bouquet of 5 roses and 7 carnations.  (For our 57th ... get it?)  The bouquet was very nice and I thought it was great that he did this since the 57th is not a "special" year to celebrate.  But he said now every one is special.  I agree.



Hey! I did finish another hooked rug.  This one is called "Peonies and Tulips" and I'm giving it to my friend Jane.  She is special and deserves so much more than this small token!  I still have more rugs that I should give away ... gotta get with that!



Last week I cleaned out my kitchen and dining room cupboards and cabinets.  Everything is spic n' span there!  Took two LARGE sacks of 'stuff' to Goodwill and gave some away to friends.  As I was doing that I really took a good look at my "Italy" collection (below) as it was all sitting out on the counter top.  And I love it.  Wish I used it more often!  I have fun collecting these dishes and looking for them at antiques shops is the best!  It's been about a year since I found any new pieces ... maybe I'll find another treasure this Saturday -- Leap Year Day!  LOL!



Well, I gotta go ... I can't find the spell check button so if this has errors -- sorry.  

Remember, do something for yourself Saturday with this extra day.  God is good!

No comments: