Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Texas Canyon and Amerind ...

I have fallen in love with the Texas Canyon area!  I'm  posting a couple of pictures of rock formations taken there at right.  That is where the Triangle T Guest Ranch is, where we had dinner as I think I mentioned here in a previous post.  Also, last week we went to the Amerind Foundation Museum  and Gallery just north of Dragoon in Texas Canyon.  It's a museum of native American artifacts and the collection is much more extensive than the Eiteljorg in Indy.  The building isn't as impressive, but the collection is!  The gallery of art, in an adjacent building, however is not as large as the Eiteljorg's by any measure.  But we loved the museum and the grounds are awesome.  Full of these immense boulders, piled on top of each other.  Like I said, I'm in love.  I could see me living in that area!  At the Amerind, cameras were not allowed inside, so I didn't get any pictures of the place.  (Awww.)  But we bought a poster of their signature print that is on most of their literature, and will frame it and put it in the wine room.

There is a wonderful road called the Sybil Road, between St. David and I-10 that leads to the Texas Canyon area that we loved, too.  The drive through the country on Sybil Rd was awesome in it's vast lonesomeness.  No signs of civilization.  I didn't even try to take any pictures there; you just cannot capture in a picture what you're seeing with your eyes.  That goes for something we saw Monday as well.  A rainbow.  It was over the mountains west of the house.  For a couple of HOURS.  I took LOTS of pictures of that rainbow but they too don't do justice to what I saw with my own eyes. 

We visited the monastery at St. David last week and that was a great day, also.  It is a lovely place, very peaceful.  It's fairly new, having only been there since 1974.  The Our Lady of Guadalupe Chapel was so beautiful!  It's in a lovely desert setting with a wonderful courtyard entrance.  The inside has tiled floor, stucco walls with inset hand-painted tiles, mesquite beams, and furniture made of mesquite such as the altar and other small pieces.  It was so quiet there.  We just sat for a long time taking it all in.  On the grounds they have a gift shop, pecan groves, several ponds, bird sanctuary, a retreat center, bakery, thrift shop, art center, residences, and a campground.  It's near the San Pedro River.  That was just a lovely day.  On the way out of St. David we stopped at the Gallery of Dreams, a blue stuccoed building.  They had lots of great art by several area artists but most way too expensive for me.  Actually I only saw one thing I really wanted ...

The weather has been a mixed bag.  It actually snowed here Monday night.  When I saw on the Tucson news that they reported 3" in Peace I just about laughed myself silly.  A picture of the 3" is at right.  Went and got my hair trimmed today and the beautician said that when it snows (like that) or rains or there's a sand storm, the border patrol station (just south of here) closes!  That gives you a real secure feeling, doesn't it?!  She laughed and said she always joked that on those days she called her family in Mexico and said "come on over today!".  She was really funny and very nice!  And she did a great job, too!  Her dad was Mexican and her mom Guatemalan. 

We went to Margie's for breakfast yesterday.  Very tasty!  I had the two biggest pancakes I have ever eaten!  No joke.  I ate the whole thing!  I think I'm trying to gain back all of the weight I lost from being ill; I have just been very hungry the past week!  We are starting to know our way around and learn what's going on where and when.  Last week Wendell bought an old Royal typewriter and pried off the keys for me to use in jewelry making.  There's always some new place to go that we learn of.  The beautician told me that the realtor's office is having a yard sale and they have a pack saddle for sale ... I think I need one of those, don't you? .....

No comments: