Tuesday, March 24, 2015

In review ...

Well, I'm home (just got back Friday p.m.) but wanted to put on a bunch of pictures I failed to show you earlier in our visit to Texas.  Wasn't keeping things up to date here and my 'back home now' resolution will be to keep this journal more up-to-date ...

So here in pictures are some of the highlights of places we went and things we saw in TX.

Did I already show you this? If I did, I'm doing it again because I was just struck by the unique home d├ęcor I saw there at shops and open houses ... This is a hammered copper bath tub. Love it!
And of course, to go with that tub you need this MESQUITE wood sink!  No joke!  There were several of these in a booth at an antiques shop in New Braunfels.
We walked the top of he dam at Canyon Lake!  It was 8/10ths of a mile one way.  We were plum tuckered out by the time we got back to the truck (which was parked well away from where we started I must add!).

(And just to prove that we made it all the way, here's a picture from the other end!)
Went to the Texas Hill Country Heritage Museum and saw some awesome dino tracks. They have a very large covered area to protect the tracks which were uncovered in the 80's while excavating for an RV park ...

This sculpture was outside the Heritage Museum. 
Went to Kerrville one day and spent the afternoon at the Museum of Western Art.  This sculpture was near the entrance.  I really enjoyed this museum, which featured mainly paintings and sculpture.  There was a special exhibit of hand made saddles while were there (which I now appreciate as an art).

We enjoyed the New Braunfels Railroad Museum one afternoon.  It's a small museum, right downtown by the RR track, manned and maintained by volunteers.
This 'speeder' was one of the exhibits at the RR Museum. I thought it was unique.
While driving out in the hill country, between two towns there was this place called Camp Verde.  It had been near an Army fort back in the day, and they tried an experiment using camels. So everything there is about camels. Today it is the post office, general store, restaurant, and inn. I could stay here.  Pretty country thereabouts.

This is the old post office (in the Camp Verde general store); the new PO is now in another room. But I really liked this picture with the hats and the old PO boxes ... That's their business logo at bottom, with the camel.

You might not know, but I'm hooked on cholla skeletons (dried cactus).  I found a booth in an antiques shop in New Braunfels with LOTS of stuff made from cholla! A bed, several chairs, a floor lamp, a footstool, and this adorable little lamp made to look like a wagon!  What's not to love!?!? (But I gotta tell you, the bed was over $1000 !!! And this lamp $129. Yikes!)
We went to a drive-thru Wildlife Ranch that was very near our cottage.  Really enjoyed it!  They gave you a bag of feed when you entered.  Here's Wendell getting ready to feed the zebra: he'd say "Open wide and say ahh!" and then ....

... the zebra would open it's mouth like this and W. would throw in the food!  (I have a feeling that zebra has done that before!  Several times!) This went on for some time, until W.'s arm got tired of throwing I think!  LOL!

We went to a WWII battle reenactment in Fredericksburg.  They're getting ready to use the flame-thrower on the Jap pill box!

We won!  Mopping up loose ends.  Wendell and I were very impressed.  So many volunteer hours goes into this.  I bought a souvenir hand grenade to hang from my mirror to help the cause ...

When the reenactment concluded, all of the 'soldiers', Japanese & US, marched in for a curtain call.  They also asked all veterans present to stand.  I was proud when Wendell stood up with many other men who have served in the military that were in attendance that day.
On the way home we stopped at BassPro in Springfield MO.  Beside shopping we enjoyed the wildlife museum (still under construction) and the Firearms Museum.  Spent two half-days there and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Spent too much $$ and ate too well at Hemmingway's.

But now the party's over and it's back to the old routine.  Have lots to tend to in the next couple weeks. And I'm motivated to clean up the yard when I see the daffodils working their way up.  So that's what my life's been like these past three months.  Here's to a new year!